Warm-up 7: What is the difference between a blunt end and a sticky end in restriction enzyme analysis?
Take out restriction enzyme for stamp.
1. Restriction enzymes part 2
2. PCR reading
3. Paper clip PCR
HW: Powerpoints due to firstname.lastname@example.org by tomorrow at 8:20
Warm-up 6: What is a DNA fingerprint? How can you tell the difference between two DNA samples in a fingerprint? What is the difference between the way DNA fingerprinting is used for paternity tests and crime scene data?
Take out "Harvest of Fear" video sheet for stamp
1. "Harvest of Fear" Discussion
2. Restriction enzyme/DNA fingerprinting notes
3. Restriction enzyme digest practice
HW: Restriction enzyme if incomplete
Warm-up 5: What is organic farming? How is related to GMO foods?
1. DNA fingerprinting notes
2. DNA fingerprinting activity
3. Complete "Harvest of Fear"
HW: Personal reflection if incomplete
Warm-up 4: List and describe three different historical biotechnology practices.
Take out section 20.1 notes for stamp
1. Computer lab to work on PowerPoint
HW: PowerPoints due next Wednesday
Warm-up 3: Write three interesting thing about your biotechnology scientists
Take out history assignment
1. Timeline building
2. History of biotechnology notes
Find a seat wherever possible. We are only here for a few minutes.
Warm-up 2: Provide a detailed example of how biotechnology is part of every day life. What is the difference between a transgenic organism and an organism that is a result of selective breeding.
Take out biotech reading for stamp
1. Biotech discussion
2. Biotech history timeline assignment
3. PowerPoint if time permits
HW: Powerpoint presentations due next Thursday
Warm-up: What is genetic technology? How does genetic technology influence our everyday lives? What industries use genetic technology?
Take out articles and book assignment for stamps
1. Go over book assignment
2. Introduction to genetic technology
3. Genetically modified foods. Read and take notes over the article. Be able to answer the following questions:
1. Provide examples of organisms that have resulted from selective breeding
2. What is gene transfer technology?
3. What is the gene gun approach?
4. Outline the steps in making a transgenic plant
5. Describe three risks associated with growing genetically modified plants.
6. Your opinion- do you think there should be regulations? Why or why not?
HW: Genetically modified foods if incomplete
Warm-up: What is metastasis? What is cancer?
1. Class discussion of cancer treatments
2. Immunotherapy video
3. Immune review video
HW: STUDY and vocab- mini-test tomorrow.
Warm-up: Explain the differences between how B Cells and T Cells attach pathogens.
1. Finish immune diagram 3
2. Go over immune diagrams
3. Cancer notes
4. Cancer treatment reading- read article and be able to answer the following questions for a class discussion
-What is the treatment used for?
-List 3 types of the treatment (if applicable)
-What are the risks or side effects of the treatment?
-How does the treatment work?
HW: Finish reading article