1. Mentor Info
2. Sign up for Turnitin.com
3. Take notes over new article in logbook
HW: Final write-up of write-ups 2 & 3 due Friday/Monday
1. Peer edit two write-ups
2. Make edits to write-ups if time permits
1. MENTOR INFO DUE Wed/Thurs
2. Find one new journal article and print it for class Wed/Thurs
3. Two final write-ups due Fri/Mon
1. Complete the blue questions for the article you brought today.
2. Once you have completed the questions for your new article please write your name on it and staple or paperclip it together and hand it in to the green basket up front.
3. If you finish with time left in class complete the blue questions for the first article we printed (in your portfolio).
Homework over break:
1. Complete and print two new article write-ups (use the same format as the first one)- due 9/28-29
2. Mentor information due Wednesday, 9/30-10/1
1. Vote on posters
2. Peer Edit Article Write-ups in color groups
3. Discuss what was useful about each article for group members
4. Reveal Poster winners based on judging (prize awarded Friday)
5. Look for article #3 if time permits
HW: Edit your write-up print a new copy hand in on Thursday/Friday with your peer-edited copy, find one new article a print for class Thursday/Friday
1. Discuss scientific method (from this link)
2. APA Citation Guide
3. Write up ONE article
1 page- HEADER DOES NOT COUNT TOWARD PAGE COUNT (can be more than a page)
Times New Roman, 12 pt font, double spaced
Headers (make sure you write your name):
(research question and citation do not count toward page count, write up must be at least ONE page)
Write-up of the article using your questions as a guideline
Should be well-written, free of grammatical and spelling errors, and flow appropriately.
HW: Finish article write up, one printed copy due Tuesday/Wednesday
1. Article questions introduction
2. Viewed the following videos about reading journal articles:
How to Read a Journal Article
How to Read a Journal Article 2
3. Answer questions for 2 primary articles
HW: Due Friday/Monday-Complete blue questions you haven't completed for both articles.
Due Tuesday/Wednesday- Your research question for YOUR project.
1. Mentor information
2. Continue conferences
3. Find TWO new primary articles print them for next class- notes not necessary YET
4. Send me another professional email to my magnet email account with the following information about your study (please label accordingly):
All responses should be specific and detailed.
Topic: What is your research topic?
Who?: Who is the ideal audience for your research? Explain
What?: What will you study? Provide details
When?: When you will study this? How much time do you anticipate needing?
Where?: Where will your research take place?
Why? : Why is this research important?
How?: What will you do to collect data?
International?: What are the international connections?
Expected outcomes?: What do you expect to find?
What do you want to learn?
Mentor Ideas: Who might serve as a mentor? If you don't have a specific person in mind what type of researcher could help? Could a person who works in a specific field be helpful?
HW: Print 2 articles, email due by 8 AM Wednesday/Thursday
Logbooks to red bucket (standing up please)
1. Writing a research question
2. Share question with partner
3. Devise a VERY simple plan for data
What type of background information do you need to collect to develop your study?
What type of data do you think you will need to collect?
How might you collect your data?
4. Share plans in color groups
No homework tonight
Links to handouts:
Look here for what we do each day.